Endocrinology and Rheumatology for Primary Care
Jul 22, 2022 – Jul 24, 2022
Jekyll Island - The Westin Jekyll Island
Get away to new adventures and wide-open beaches. Whether here for a week or a night, you’ll find Jekyll Island’s abounding peace and serenity. It’s the perfect time to discover why this coastal haven is an escape unlike any other. Raise your expectations for what a Georgia beach excursion can be! Jekyll Island offers a variety of amenities, including 10 miles of beach, four golf courses, a 250-acre Historic Landmark District, the Georgia Sea Turtle Center, Summer Waves Water Park, tennis center, and an array of lodging options, including hotels, cottages and campgrounds. Owned by the State of Georgia and managed by the Jekyll Island State Park Authority, Jekyll Island has had development limited to just 35 percent of its available land area. This unique aspect of Jekyll Island serves to preserve the critical barrier island ecosystem, and provide guests with a unique escape from the crowds and complications of other beach resort destinations. The beaches on Jekyll Island are unlike those of any other coastal destination. With 10 miles of grand, unspoiled shoreline and a variety of amenities, you’ll find the perfect place to relax and refresh the senses. Best known for their natural bounty, each of Jekyll Island’s beaches is completely different than the other. From bird watching on St. Andrews to photo ops on Driftwood Beach, these sun-drenched sanctuaries offer a truly invigorating experience.
Past Attendees Save $50: Past MCE Conferences attendees (within the previous three years) automatically receive a $50 discount at checkout.
Bring a Friend or Colleague and Save $50: If you are attending with another healthcare professional you are eligible for a $50 discount.
Overview & Agenda
Endocrinology and Women’s Health for Primary Care – 12 Credits
This conference is designed to provide primary care practitioners with up-to-date, evidence-based information on commonly encountered issues in Endocrinology and Rheumatology, while suggesting pragmatic approaches to clinical management. The discussion-based format of the conference will encourage audience participation through dynamic lectures, case-based studies, and hands-on workshops. Keynote speakers will present and critically assess recent advancements and industry updates in Endocrinology and Rheumatology, with the goal of enhancing the knowledge-base and core competence of attendees. The successful completion of this interactive program diagnosing, treating, and prescribing the most effective courses of treatment, with the ultimate goal of improving patient outcomes.
All Physicians and other Healthcare Professionals seeking clinical information about issues in Endocrinology and Rheumatology for Primary Care.
Our presenting national faculty speakers make it their professional goals to enhance the training of primary care clinicians. This Continuing Medical Education program promises to help you learn the most current, best medicine, and techniques for making the diagnosis easier during a 20 minute office visit.
Topics and Objectives
Type 2 Diabetes: Choosing Medications for Your Patients with Complications
Objectives: 1) Discuss how to determine the A1C goal for older patients and those with complications 2) Determine the role of oral agents and GLP-1 receptor agonists for therapy of patients with Type 2 diabetes, cardiac and renal disease
Using Insulin Effectively in Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes
Objectives: 1) Determine when and how to start insulin in Type 2 diabetes 2) Discuss individualizing insulin regimens in Type 1 diabetes 3) Discuss the use of inexpensive insulin regimens to maximize glucose control and prevent hypoglycemia when patients cannot afford expensive preparations
Objectives: 1) Discuss osteoporosis 2) Review DEXA scans for diagnosing 3) Understand when to treat, how to treat, and how long to treat 4) Discuss what is new
Obesity: How to Help Your Patients Lose Weight
Objective: 1) Discuss the selection of food plans, medications, and the implementation of behavioral change and exercise plans
New Guidelines for the Management of Thyroid Disease
Objectives: 1) Discuss biotin — friend or foe 2) Understand hypothyroidism in pregnancy 3) Determine what is the normal TSH in people over 70 4) Recognize when to treat subclinical thyroid disease 5) Review the symptomatic patient with normal thyroid function tests
Solving Pesky Endocrine Problems
Objectives: 1) Discuss adrenal insufficiency — primary vs secondary 2) Discuss what to do regarding high prolactin 3) Adrenal masses – should they come out 4) Recognize when endocrine signs point to eating disorders 5) Discuss the types of hyperparathyroidism
Primary Approach to Inflammatory Arthritis
Objectives: 1) Review the differential diagnoses when confronted with a patient who has joint inflammation and discuss various treatment alternatives 2) Identify the various lab tests that we use and how to best interpret them
Objectives: 1) Review the diagnosis, secondary causes, and fracture risk assessment tool (FRAX) to assist with the diagnosis and up-to-date treatment 2) Review of dual x-ray absorptiometry (DXA) scans and their interpretation
Objectives: 1) Review the diagnosis of the most common arthritis we see 2) Discuss treatment and new drugs on the horizon, including case reports
Objectives: 1) Identify how to evaluate and treat patients who present with what appears to be a crystalinduced arthritis diagnosis 2) Discuss treatments, including joint aspiration, synovial fluid analysis and dietary considerations
Objectives: 1) Review this challenging diagnosis 2) Describe approved therapies, as well as additional nonclassic therapies that are used 3) Review the newer diagnostic criteria and compare it to the older one
Common Rheumatic Diseases in the Primary Care Office
Objective: 1) Apply the principles from previous lectures and discuss treatment of rheumatic diseases in a case presentation format
Note: Content is subject to change without notice. Please refer to the activity website for the most current information.
July 22, 2022
Conference - Day 1
Continental Breakfast for Registered Attendees
Check-In Opens at 7:00 AM
7:30 AM - 11:50 AM
July 23, 2022
Conference - Day 2
Continental Breakfast for Registered Attendees
7:30 AM - 11:50 AM
July 24, 2022
Conference - Day 3
Continental Breakfast for Registered Attendees
7:30 AM - 11:50 AM
Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education – ACCME
MCE Conferences is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
MCE Conferences designates this live activity for a maximum of 12 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credits commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
ABIM MOC Recognition
Successful completion of this CME activity, which includes participation in the evaluation component, enables the participant to earn up to 12 (part II) MOC pointsin the American Board of Internal Medicine’s (ABIM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program. Participants will earn MOC points equivalent to the amount of CME credits claimed for the activity. It is the CME activity provider’s responsibility to submit participant completion information to ACCME for the purpose of granting ABIM MOC credit.
American Academy of Family Physicians – AAFP
This live activity is being reviewed and will be acceptable for up to 12 Prescribed credits by the American Academy of Family Physicians. AAFP Prescribed credit is accepted by the American Medical Association as equivalent to the AMA PRA Category 1 credit toward the AMA Physicians Recognition Award. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The College of Family Physicians of Canada – Mainpro-M1
The American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) is the accrediting body for family medicine continuing medical education (CME) in the United States of America. CFPC members who complete any live CME/CPD program accredited by the AAFP for Prescribed credit can claim the equivalent number of Mainpro-M1 credits. Canadian
American Osteopathic Association – AOA
CME activities approved for AAFP credit are recognized by the AOA as equivalent to AOA Category 2 credit.
American Academy of Physician Assistants – AAPA
AAPA accepts Category 1 CME approval from the AAFP.
American Association of Nurse Practitioners – AANP
AAFP Prescribed Credits are accepted by the AANP.
American Nurses Credentialing Center – ANCC
According to the ANCC, the continuing education hours approved by the AAFP meet the ANCC-accredited CNE criteria.
This course is being reviewed and will be acceptable for up to 12 CE credits; please verify with your Medical Board which hours may be applied toward Pharmacology credit.
Lodging Reservations – To make your lodging reservation, please Click Here or call The Westin Jekyll Island and confirm you are with MCE Conferences at (912) 635-4545. For further assistance you may also contact our office via email at email@example.com.
Please note: Room categories are based on availability at the time of request.
Accommodations – Soak in scenic views of the Atlantic Ocean from exquisitely appointed hotel rooms and suites at The Westin Jekyll Island. Showcasing signature Westin amenities, including our Heavenly® Bed and Heavenly® Bath, our accommodations reflect their serene oceanfront environment. Find complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs and other cutting-edge comforts in your guest room or suite.
- Island View Guestroom – $269 Per Room Per Night Plus Applicable Taxes and Fees
- Relax in one of our spacious Traditional Island View Rooms, brushed with a palette of soothing tones and inviting coastal accents overlooking Jekyll Island and the shops of the Beach Village. Equipped with the latest technology, these peaceful retreats include a 42-inch HDTV and iHome® docking station. Keep productive with a workspace equipped with a glass-topped desk, ergonomic leather chair and complimentary High-Speed Internet Access, or relax in a sitting area. A coffee maker with Starbucks® coffee and smart mini-fridges help to keep you refreshed all day. The spa-like Heavenly® Bath helps stimulate circulation with its rainforest shower head and handheld wand. Double rooms offer a combination shower and bathtub, while rooms with a king-size bed feature a glass-enclosed, walk-in shower. Enjoy the added touch of the Heavenly® Mirror, a plush bathrobe and signature Westin bath amenities.
- One king or two queen beds available with rooms from 409sqft – 550sqft.
- Partial Ocean View Guestroom – $279 Per Room Per Night Plus Applicable Taxes and Fees
- Deluxe Rooms offer all the attractive attributes of our Traditional Rooms, plus partial ocean views with a glimpse of the Atlantic Ocean from your balcony. Equipped with the latest technology, these peaceful retreats include a 42-inch HDTV and iHome® docking station. Keep productive with a workspace equipped with a glass-topped desk, ergonomic leather chair and complimentary High-Speed Internet Access, or relax in a sitting area. A coffee maker with Starbucks® coffee and smart mini-fridges help to keep you refreshed all day. The spa-like Heavenly® Bath helps stimulate circulation with its rainforest shower head and handheld wand. Double rooms offer a combination shower and bathtub, while rooms with a king-size bed feature a glass enclosed, walk-in shower. Enjoy the added touch of the Heavenly® Mirror, a plush bathrobe and signature Westin bath amenities.
- One king or two queen beds available with rooms from 409sqft – 550sqft
- Ocean View Guestroom – $289 Per Room Per Night Plus Applicable Taxes and Fees
- Grand Deluxe Rooms provide expansive Atlantic vistas. Each spacious, inviting Grand Deluxe Room has its own private balcony, allowing for quiet reflection and rejuvenation amid the sights and sounds of nature. Sandy earth tones and clean lines help create a soothing environment for work or rest. Relax in a sitting area and stay connected with the latest technology, from a 42-inch HTDV to an iHome® docking station. For those who need to work, a glass-topped desk, ergonomic leather chair and complimentary High-Speed Internet Access help you keep up with deadlines, while a coffee maker with Starbucks® coffee and a smart mini-fridge provides refreshment. Discover a blissful night’s sleep in the Heavenly® Bed, featuring a leather headboard with built-in lighting and layers of lofty white bedding. The spa-like Heavenly® Bath helps stimulate circulation with its rainforest shower head and handheld wand. Double rooms offer a combination shower and bathtub, while rooms with a king-size bed feature a glass-enclosed, walk-in shower. Enjoy the added touch of the Heavenly® Mirror, a plush bathrobe and signature Westin bath amenities.
- One king or two queen beds available with rooms from 409sqft – 455sqft
Additional Lodging Information –
Resort Fee: A resort service charge, for MCE Attendees, of $15.00 (discounted from the normal $20) per room plus tax per night includes:
- Two hours of bike rentals, per room, per day
- Two Starbucks Coffee Vouchers per day, per room
- Two Beverage Credit Vouchers per day, per room
- Beach and Pool Towel Service
- Island shuttle service (subject to covid restrictions)
- Self-Parking at the Westin during stay and events
(Amenities subject to change based on Resort’s policy)
Taxes and Fees: Please note that the Resort charges an additional $25.00 each for 3rd and 4th guests sharing a room (excluding children under 18). Rates do not include applicable state and local taxes, currently 11%, or the following automatic or mandatory charges (e.g., resort charges): Discounted Resort Charge of $15.00 – normally $20/night (Resort fee does not include applicable state taxes, currently 6%) and Georgia Hotel Fee of $5.00 per room per night. Current resort charge and taxes are subject to change without notice. No automatic or mandatory charges are tips, gratuities, or services charges for employees, unless otherwise expressly stated.
Check-in/Check-out: Check-in is after 4:00 p.m. and Check-out is before 12:00 p.m. Guests departing on July 24th will be honored a 12PM checkout to accommodate hours of the program.
Parking: Parking complimentary for local and offsite guests driving in for the conference each day on June 22, 23, 24, 2022.
Lodging Deposit – The first night room and tax deposit is required at the time of booking. The deposit may be charged to MasterCard, Visa, American Express, or Discover credit cards and will be processed when the card number is given.
Lodging Cancellations – Terms and conditions as per MCE’s room allotment agreement with conference lodging venue:
- Cancellation made 31 days or more prior to arrival: A full refund will be issued.
- Cancellation 30 days or less prior to arrival: No refunds will be issued.
- No-shows and early departures are considered a cancellation: No refunds will be issued.
All lodging cancellations must be made directly with the lodging venue. Please refer to your lodging confirmation for contact information and policies.
Register & Book Your Lodging Early! The MCE reduced room rates will be available to registered attendees up until June 14, 2022 (based on availability). Our allotment for reduced room rates may sell out before this date. We urge you to secure your lodging reservation as early as possible. Reduced rates will also be offered 3 nights pre and post-program dates (based on availability).
Room Reservation Guidelines – The lodging reservation link has been created for the MCE Conference continuing medical education program, and only guests that are registered for this CME conference are eligible to use this site in order to access discounted rooms and/or theme park tickets (if applicable).
- Attendees must register within (7) seven days of booking MCE discounted lodging to avoid cancellations or increased nightly rates (depending on Hotel/Resort policy).
- We allow a maximum of 2 room reservations per registered attendee, based on availability and rates at the time of booking.
- Rooms and/or tickets (if applicable) cannot be purchased for the purpose of, or with the intention of being resold.
- All reservations must be made under the registered attendee’s’ name, as all reservations and ticket orders (if applicable) will be audited against the CME program registration list. Should it be necessary, we reserve the right to contact you to request proof of registration. If it is discovered that the reservation and/or ticket order is not for an MCE Conferences participant, the reservations and/or ticket order may be canceled or modified based on the Hotel/Resort policy, and deposits may not be eligible for a refund.
Please note: In order to provide a quality and interactive CME program, MCE Conferences will limit the number of registrations per conference.
Additional Travel Information
Airport Information – Brunswick Golden Isles Airport (BQK) is roughly 30 minutes from Jekyll Island. Jacksonville International Airport is just over one hour from Jekyll Island.
Car Rental – To make your discounted car rental reservation, please click on the following links (please note: car rental company availability may differ based on airport/ destination)
- AVIS – Click Here and enter G028287 in the “AWD Number” box to receive the Group Discount.
- Budget – Click Here
- Enterprise – Click Here and enter XZB6145 to receive the Group Discount.
- Hertz – Click Here and check the “Enter a Discount or Promo Code” and “I am a Corporate Customer” boxes. Enter 2086989 in the “Discount/CDP/Club Code” box to receive the Group Discount.
- National – Click Here and enter XZB6145 under Contract ID to receive Group Discount.
Other Upcoming Conferences
What Are You Waiting For?
Register Early! In order to provide a quality and interactive CME program, MCE Conferences will limit the amount of registrations per conference. Some conferences may have a lower registration limit due to the destination logistics and lodging availability.