Endocrinology and Internal Medicine Update for Primary Care
Mar 05, 2021 – Mar 07, 2021
Sedona / Grand Canyon - Hilton Sedona Resort at Bell Rock
The gateway to the Grand Canyon, Sedona is often called Red Rock Country and is a four seasons playground for everyone – whether you’re into history and archaeology; arts and culture; shopping; outdoor sports; or the spiritual and metaphysical, imagine doing all this in a backdrop of some of the most spectacular scenery in the world. A magical location, stunning landscape and a rich history: Hilton Sedona at Bell Rock is your ideal home for adventure in the red rock country.
Past Attendees Save $50: Past MCE Conferences attendees (within the previous three years) automatically receive a $50 discount at checkout.
Bring a Friend or Colleague and Save $50: If you are attending with another healthcare professional you are eligible for a $50 discount.
Overview & Agenda
Endocrinology and Internal Medicine Update for Primary Care
This conference is designed to provide primary care clinicians with up-to-date, evidence-based information on commonly encountered issues in Endocrinology and general common issues in Internal Medicine for Primary Care, while suggesting pragmatic approaches to clinical management. The discussion-based format of the conference will encourage audience participation through dynamic lectures, case-based studies, and hands-on workshops. Keynote speakers will present and critically assess recent advancements and industry updates in Endocrinology and Internal Medicine, with the goal of enhancing the knowledge-base and core competence of attendees. The successful completion of this interactive program diagnosing, treating, and prescribing the most effective courses of treatment, with the ultimate goal of improving patient outcomes.
All Physicians and other Healthcare Professionals seeking clinical information about issues in Endocrinology and various common issues in Internal Medicine.
Our presenting national faculty speakers make it their professional goals to enhance the training of primary care clinicians. This Continuing Medical Education program promises to help you learn the most current, best medicine, and techniques for making the diagnosis easier during a 20-minute office visit.
Topics and Objectives
Diagnosis and Treatment of Hypothyroidism
Objectives: 1) Participants will learn about diagnostic criteria of hypothyroidism 2) Participants will learn the characteristics of the reference range for TSH 3) Participants will learn about proper initial dosing of thyroid hormone supplementation 4) Participants will learn about all options for treatment of hypothyroidism.
Subclinical Thyroid Disorders
Objectives: 1) Participants will learn the definitions of subclinical thyroid disorders 2) Participants will learn clinical consequences of subclinical thyroid disorders 3) Participants will learn about proper diagnostic evaluation of subclinical thyroid disorder 4) Participants will learn the current guidelines for treatment of subclinical thyroid disorders.
Management of Hypercalcemia and Hypocalcemia
Objectives: 1) Participants will learn about common causes of hypercalcemia and hypocalcemia 2) Participants will learn proper diagnostic protocol for evaluation of hypercalcemia 3) Participants will learn about acute management of hypercalcemia 4) Participants will learn about management of hypocalcemia 5) Participants will learn about indications for surgical management of primary hyperparathyroidism.
Principles of Energy Metabolism, Role of Lifestyle
Objectives: 1) Participants will learn about relative contributions of diet and physical activity on metabolism 2) Participants will learn how the metabolism changes with weight loss, weight gain and after exercise 3) Participants will learn how to correctly estimate energy expenditure with different types of activity.
Diagnostic Evaluation and Treatment of Hyperthyroidism
Objectives: 1) Participants will learn about diagnostic evaluation of patients with hyperthyroidism 2) Participants will learn the treatment options for hyperthyroidism 3) Participants will learn the benefits and risks of anti-thyroid medications 4) Participants will learn about proper follow up of patients with treated hyperthyroidism
Metabolic Bone Disease
Objectives: 1) Participants will learn to differentiate between common types of metabolic bone disease 2) Participants will learn about use of the markers of the bone metabolism in the management of osteoporosis 3) Participants will learn about use and interpretation of DEXA 4) Participants will learn about treatment options for osteoporosis
Internal Medicine Updates
Medical Myths (Busting Medical Myths)
Objectives: 1) Recognize medical myths 2) Recognize why they occur 3) Explain why they persist despite evidence against them
Drug Interactions and Side Effects for 2020
Objectives: 1) Effectively manage patients on statins if respect to muscle symptoms 2) Recognize major drug interactions with warfarin 3) Know the dangers of quinolones
Practical Pearls in Primary Care
Objectives: 1) Develop a plan for treatment of resistant hypertension 2) Recognize hidden presentations of sleep apnea 3) Recognize common causes of night sweats
10 Ways to Best Care for Elderly Patients
Objectives: 1) Recognize the cardiovascular risk of NSAIDS in the elderly 2) Understand the risk /benefit of aggressive diabetes control in the elderly 3) Recognize the importance of counseling the elderly to avoid high risk fall situations
Dermatology for the Primary Care Professional
Objectives: 1) Identify and know the causes of erythema multiforme 2) Recognize the cutaneous manifestations of hepatitis C 3) Recognize the different patterns that help with diagnosis of groin rashes
Natural Products: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Objectives: 1) Recognize which natural products are effective in the prevention of migraine headache 2) Identify which natural product has good evidence for prevention of urinary tract infections 3) Recognize which natural product has the greatest danger for drug interactions
Note: Content is subject to change without notice. Please refer to the activity website for the most current information. Due to Covid-19, some presenters may be unable to travel and therefore would be required to present virtually. We appreciate your understanding and flexibility at this time and will communicate with all registered attendees via email if any changes are made to this program.
March 5, 2021
Hilton Conference Center
Conference - Day 1
Continental Breakfast for Registered Attendees from 6:30 AM - 8:00 AM.
Check-In Opens at 6:30 AM
8:00 AM - 12:20 PM
March 6, 2021
Hilton Conference Center
Conference - Day 2
Continental Breakfast for Registered Attendees
8:00 AM - 12:20 PM
March 7, 2021
Hilton Conference Center
Conference - Day 3
Continental Breakfast for Registered Attendees
8:00 AM - 12:20 PM
Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education – ACCME
MCE Conferences is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
MCE Conferences designates this live activity for a maximum of 12 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credits commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
ABIM MOC Recognition
Successful completion of this CME activity, which includes participation in the evaluation component, enables the participant to earn up to 12 (part II) MOC points in the American Board of Internal Medicine’s (ABIM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program. Participants will earn MOC points equivalent to the amount of CME credits claimed for the activity. It is the CME activity provider’s responsibility to submit participant completion information to ACCME for the purpose of granting ABIM MOC credit.
American Academy of Family Physicians – AAFP
The AAFP has reviewed Endocrinology and Internal Medicine Update for Primary Care and deemed it acceptable for up to 12.00 In-Person, Live (could include online) AAFP Prescribed credit. Term of Approval is from 03/05/2021 to 03/07/2021. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
AAFP Prescribed credit is accepted by the American Medical Association as equivalent to AMA PRA Category 1 credit(s)™ toward the AMA Physician’s Recognition Award. When applying for the AMA PRA, Prescribed credit earned must be reported as Prescribed, not as Category 1. For all AAFP credit equivalencies and recognition, please see the AAFP Credit System website.
The College of Family Physicians of Canada – Mainpro-M1
The American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) is the accrediting body for family medicine continuing medical education (CME) in the United States of America. CFPC members who complete any live CME/CPD program accredited by the AAFP for Prescribed credit can claim the equivalent number of Mainpro-M1 credits. Canadian
American Osteopathic Association – AOA
CME activities approved for AAFP credit are recognized by the AOA as equivalent to AOA Category 2 credit.
American Academy of Physician Assistants – AAPA
AAPA accepts Category 1 CME approval from the AAFP.
American Association of Nurse Practitioners – AANP
AAFP Prescribed Credits are accepted by the AANP.
American Nurses Credentialing Center – ANCC
According to the ANCC, the continuing education hours approved by the AAFP meet the ANCC-accredited CNE criteria.
This course is being reviewed and will be acceptable for up to 12 CE credits; please verify with your Medical Board which hours may be applied toward Pharmacology credit.
Please note: Room categories are based on availability at the time of request.
Accommodations – All rooms and suites at the Hilton Sedona Resort at Bell Rock offer stunning views, with locally inspired designs for a stay as magical and peaceful as the desert surroundings. Amenities that make this the ideal home away from home for adventure in the red rock country: Hilton Serenity Collection Bed and Bedding, Gas fireplace, Microwave, Wet bar, a Private balcony/patio, Alarm clock radio with connection for MP3 player, Air-conditioning, a Safe, Desk and work area, Iron & ironing board, Hairdryer, Mini refrigerator, 37” HDTV and WiFi access. All rooms and suites at the Hilton Sedona Resort at Bell Rock are designed with comfort and convenience in mind; providing a place to unwind or to catch up on work.
- One Bedroom King Suite with Parlor & Fireplace – $289 Per Room Per Night (Plus Applicable Taxes and Fees) – These stylish king suites are decorated in a soothing color palette of grays and blues with natural elements that reflect the surrounding high desert, including wood and chic leather furnishings, granite countertops and local artwork. The king suites range in size from 548-615 sq. ft. and include a separate living area, with gas fireplace and queen sofa sleeper with attached chaise lounge. Step out on to a private patio or balcony. Upscale amenities include two flat-screen TVs, farmhouse-style dining table, wet bar, mini-fridge and microwave oven. The bath offers a separate vanity area, deluxe bath products and cozy bathrobes.
- Deluxe Guest Room 2 Queen Beds with Patio or Balcony – $299 Per Room Per Night (Plus Applicable Taxes and Fees) – The elegant guest rooms are decorated in a soothing color palette of grays and blues with natural elements that reflect the surrounding high desert, including wood and leather furnishings, granite countertops and local artwork. The resort’s deluxe guest rooms are 350 to 416 sq. ft. with a cozy sitting area, along with a private patio or balcony. In-room amenities include a desk and work space, gas fireplace, mini-fridge and wet bar. The bath offers a large shower or tub/shower combination with deluxe bath products and cozy bathrobes.
- Golf or Pool View One Bedroom King Suite with Parlor & Fireplace – $309 Per Room Per Night (Plus Applicable Taxes and Fees) – A view of the resort’s signature swimming pool, Cascades, or the brilliant green fairways of the golf course can be seen from the windows and balconies of these suites. The suites are between 548-629 sq. ft. with one king bed in the separate bedroom. The suite’s décor has a soothing color palette of grays and blues with modern furnishing accented with touches of wood and metal. Stretch out in front of the suite’s gas fireplace in a private living room with queen sofa sleeper and attached chaise lounge. The dining area features a dining table, wet bar, All suites have private balconies and two HDTVs.
- One Bedroom 2 Queen Beds with Parlor & Fireplace – $319 Per Room Per Night (Plus Applicable Taxes and Fees) – Upgrade to a 629-681 sq. ft. spacious two queen bed suite, beautifully decorated in the tranquil colors of grays and sky blues. Stretch out and enjoy the roomy living area complete with fireplace and a queen-sized sofa bed with attached chaise lounge. The suite’s dining area features a dining table, wet bar, mini-fridge and microwave over. The bath offers a separate vanity area, deluxe bath products and cozy bathrobes. Spacious suites have private balconies or patios and two HDTVs.
Resort Fee – MCE attendees booked within the group block will receive a discounted Resort Fee of $10 per room per night (Currently $33), plus applicable state and local taxes. Amenities include: Basic Wi-Fi internet access in guestrooms and lobby, Access to the Sedona Athletic Club, including unlimited daily exercise classes; Daily eforea spa access, including 15% discount on signature eforea spa services;10% discount on golf shop merchandise at Sedona Golf Resort, including one-time putting green access with putter and balls; Unlimited local and 800 telephone access; Use of guest laundry facilities; free parking. Outdoor Warrior Pit, Fitness Facility, Three meal restaurant, lounge and poolside grill,Two Retail Stores, Discounts at The Hike House and Efora Spa Shop, Championship Gary Panks designed golf course, 2 pools: Cascades Pool and the spa lap pool, 2 hot tubs, Mountain Bike Repair and Cleaning Station, and Hi Powered Viewing Binoculars.
Additional Lodging Information:
- Taxes & Fees – Currently, the sales tax rate is 6.35% and the hotel occupancy tax rate is 6.325%. Taxes and fees are subject to change without notice.
- Additional Adult Fees – Quoted room rate is based on single/double occupancy. There will be an extra person charge of $20.00 per person/per day for triple/quad occupancy. Children 18 years and under are free when staying in the same room as their parents.
- Check-In & Check-Out – Currently, the Hotel’s check-in time is 4:00PM, and check-out time is 11:00AM. Subject to change without notice.
Parking – Complimentary parking included with the discounted Resort Fee. Complimentary parking will also be provided for all attendees driving locally or from offsite to the conference on 3/5-3/7, 2021.
Lodging Deposit -To confirm a sleeping room within the Room Block, the sleeping room must be secured with a valid credit card along with a first night’s deposit which is refundable up to 7- days in advance of arrival.
Lodging Cancellations – Terms and conditions as per MCE’s room allotment agreement with conference lodging venue:
- Cancellation made 31 days or more prior to arrival: A full refund will be issued.
- Cancellation 30 days or less prior to arrival: No refunds will be issued.
- No-shows and early departures are considered a cancellation: No refunds will be issued.
All lodging cancellations must be made directly with the lodging venue. Please refer to your lodging confirmation for contact information and policies.
Register & Book Your Lodging Early! The MCE reduced room rates will be available to registered attendees up until January 28, 2021 (based on availability). Our allotment for reduced room rates may sell out before this date. We urge you to secure your lodging reservation as early as possible. Reduced rates will also be offered 3 nights pre and post program dates (based on availability).
Room Reservation Guidelines – The lodging reservation link has been created for the MCE Conference continuing medical education program, and only guests that are registered for this CME conference are eligible to use this site in order to access discounted rooms and/or theme park tickets (if applicable).
- Attendees must register within (7) seven days of booking MCE discounted lodging to avoid cancellations or increased nightly rates (depending on Hotel/Resort policy).
- We allow a maximum of 2 room reservations per registered attendee, based on availability and rates at the time of booking.
- Rooms and/or tickets (if applicable) cannot be purchased for the purpose of, or with the intention of being resold.
- All reservations must be made under the registered attendee’s’ name, as all reservations and ticket orders (if applicable) will be audited against the CME program registration list. Should it be necessary, we reserve the right to contact you to request proof of registration. If it is discovered that the reservation and/or ticket order is not for an MCE Conferences participant, the reservations and/or ticket order may be cancelled or modified based on the Hotel/Resort policy, and deposits may not be eligible for a refund.
Please note: In order to provide a quality and interactive CME program, MCE Conferences will limit the amount of registrations per conference.
Additional Travel Information
Airport Information – The resort is located approximately 112 miles from the Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX).
Airport Transportation –
Car Rental – To make your discounted car rental reservation, please click on the following links:
(please note: car rental company availability may differ based on airport/ destination)
- AVIS – Click Here and enter G028287 in the “AWD Number” box to receive the Group Discount.
- Budget – Click Here
- Enterprise – Click Here and enter XZB6145 to receive the MCE Conferences Group Discount.
- Hertz – Click Here and check the “Enter a Discount or Promo Code” and “I am a Corporate Customer” boxes. Enter 2086989 in the “Discount/CDP/Club Code” box to receive the Group Discount.
- National – Click Here and enter XZB6145 under Contract ID to receive Group Discount
Special Assistance – MCE’s policy is to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If special arrangements are necessary for an individual with a disability to attend a conference, please contact our office at 1-888-533-9031.
Please Note: MCE is not associated with the third party services listed herein and shall not be liable for any services of such third party providers.
Other Upcoming Conferences
What Are You Waiting For?
Register Early! In order to provide a quality and interactive CME program, MCE Conferences will limit the amount of registrations per conference. Some conferences may have a lower registration limit due to the destination logistics and lodging availability.