Emergency Medicine and Pharmacology for Primary Care
Jul 26, 2024 – Jul 28, 2024
San Diego - Loews Coronado Bay Resort
Centered between the Pacific Ocean and Coronado Bay, Loews Coronado Bay Resort epitomizes the true Southern California lifestyle. This luxury resort is set on a 15-acre peninsula with access to Silver Strand Beach where you will find a wide variety of boat rentals, from kayaks, and paddle boats to motorboats, and sailboats. The Loews Coronado Resort boasts 4 restaurants, 3 bars or lounges, 3 heated pools, a spa, a fitness center, three tennis courts, a private 81-slip marina, and postcard panoramic views of San Diego and Coronado Bay.
Past Attendees Save $50: Past MCE Conferences attendees (within the previous three years) automatically receive a $50 discount at checkout.
Bring a Friend or Colleague and Save $50: If you are attending with another healthcare professional you are eligible for a $50 discount.
Overview & Agenda
Emergency Medicine and Women’s Health for Primary Care – 12 Credits
This conference is designed to provide primary care practitioners with up-to-date, evidence-based information on commonly encountered issues in Emergency Medicine and Pharmacology, while suggesting pragmatic approaches to clinical management. The discussion-based format of the conference will encourage audience participation through dynamic lectures, case-based studies, and hands-on workshops. Keynote speakers will present and critically assess recent advancements and industry updates in Emergency Medicine and Pharmacology with the goal of enhancing the knowledge-base and core competence of attendees. The successful completion of this interactive program diagnosing, treating, and prescribing the most effective courses of treatment, with the ultimate goal of improving patient outcomes.
All Physicians and other Healthcare Professionals seeking clinical information about issues in Emergency Medicine and Pharmacology.
Our presenting national faculty speakers make it their professional goals to enhance the training of primary care clinicians. This Continuing Medical Education program promises to help you learn the most current, best medicine, and techniques for making the diagnosis easier during a 20 minute office visit.
Topics and Objectives
Deadly Abdominal Disasters
Objectives: 1) Describe subtle presentations of abdominal emergencies 2) Underline important history and physical exam findings in abdominal emergencies 3) Illustrate the diagnostic challenges in the elderly with abdominal pain
Nightmare ENT Emergencies
Objectives: 1) Discuss worrisome causes of sore throat that may present to a clinic 2) Discuss updates in the management of epistaxis 3) Recognize when to worry about dental infections
Playing the Numbers Game: Hypertensive Emergencies
Objectives: 1) Differentiate between a hypertensive emergency and asymptomatic hypertension 2) Discuss the dangers of acute management of asymptomatic hypertension 3) Identify which patients need emergent referral
Orthopedic Emergencies for the Primary Care Physician
Objectives: 1) Identify pitfalls in the diagnosis of patients with a septic joint 2) List critical features from the history and physical exam in patients with compartment syndrome 3) Discuss the latest evidence-based treatment of patients presenting with “fight bite” and high-pressure injection injuries
Objectives: 1) Identify high-risk history and physical exam findings for cardiac syncope 2) Recognize the utility or disutility of many of the common diagnostics for syncope 3) Consider shorter observation times for low-moderate risk patients
Objectives: 1) Describe atypical presentations of diabetes mellitus 2) Illustrate diagnostic challenges of thyrotoxicosis and myxedema 3) Discuss adrenal insufficiency and its management
Treatment Options for Type 2 Diabetes
Objectives: 1) Review the basic pharmacology of diabetic treatments, including mechanism of action, precautions and/or contraindications, and side-effect profile 2) Review newer medications for diabetes, and its place in therapy 3) Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each pharmacologic therapy 4) Evaluate a patient’s blood glucose control and determine the need for insulin therapy
Getting your Patient’s A1C to Goal
Objectives: 1) Discuss differences in diabetes management for older adults 2) Discuss the approach in selecting the most optimal diabetes treatment, based on patient specific parameters 3) Apply clinical practice guidelines for diabetes management
Meeting Goals Beyond A1C
Objectives: 1) Discuss the differences in diabetes management for special populations 2) Discuss novel approaches in treatment options 3) Improve adherence to medications and monitoring
Treatment Options for Depression
Objectives: 1) Review the basic pharmacology of antidepressants, including mechanism of action, precautions and/or contraindications, and side-effect profile 2) Review newer antidepressants and their place in therapy 3) Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each pharmacologic therapy
Selecting the Most Optimal Treatment Regimen for Your Patients with Depression
Objectives: 1) Outline the various treatment approaches in managing major depression 2) Discuss the approach in selecting the most optimal antidepressant, based on patient specific parameters 3) Discuss differences in depression management for older adults 4) Apply clinical practice guidelines for depression management
Treatment Options for Anxiety
Objectives: 1) Review the basic pharmacology of anxiolytics, including mechanism of action, precautions and/or contraindications, and side-effect profile 2) Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each pharmacologic therapy
Please note: Content is subject to change without notice. Please refer to the activity website for the most current information.
July 26, 2024
Loews Coronado Conference Center
Conference - Day 1
Continental Breakfast for Registered Attendees
Check-In Opens at 7:15 AM
7:30 AM - 11:50 AM
July 27, 2024
Loews Coronado Conference Center
Conference - Day 2
Continental Breakfast for Registered Attendees
7:30 AM - 11:50 AM
July 28, 2024
Loews Coronado Conference Center
Conference - Day 3
Continental Breakfast for Registered Attendees
7:30 AM - 11:50 AM
Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education – ACCME
MCE Conferences is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
MCE Conferences designates this live activity for a maximum of 12 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credits commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
ABIM MOC Recognition
Successful completion of this CME activity, which includes participation in the evaluation component, enables the participant to earn up to 12 (part II) MOC pointsin the American Board of Internal Medicine’s (ABIM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program. Participants will earn MOC points equivalent to the amount of CME credits claimed for the activity. It is the CME activity provider’s responsibility to submit participant completion information to ACCME for the purpose of granting ABIM MOC credit.
American Academy of Family Physicians – AAFP
This live activity is being reviewed and will be acceptable for up to 12 Prescribed credits by the American Academy of Family Physicians. AAFP Prescribed credit is accepted by the American Medical Association as equivalent to the AMA PRA Category 1 credit toward the AMA Physicians Recognition Award. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The College of Family Physicians of Canada – Mainpro-M1
The American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) is the accrediting body for family medicine continuing medical education (CME) in the United States of America. CFPC members who complete any live CME/CPD program accredited by the AAFP for Prescribed credit can claim the equivalent number of Mainpro-M1 credits. Canadian
American Osteopathic Association – AOA
CME activities approved for AAFP credit are recognized by the AOA as equivalent to AOA Category 2 credit.
American Academy of Physician Assistants – AAPA
AAPA accepts Category 1 CME approval from the AAFP.
American Association of Nurse Practitioners – AANP
AAFP Prescribed Credits are accepted by the AANP.
American Nurses Credentialing Center – ANCC
According to the ANCC, the continuing education hours approved by the AAFP meet the ANCC-accredited CNE criteria.
This course is being reviewed and will be acceptable for up to 12 CE credits; please verify with your Medical Board which hours may be applied toward Pharmacology credit.
Lodging Reservations -To make your lodging reservation, please Click Here (LINK COMING SOON!). If you need assistance, please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: Room categories and bedding are based on availability at the time of request.
Accommodations – Enjoy this island-chic experience at its very best. Rest and relax in stylish rooms in beach-glass colors with magnificent views that range from the Pacific Ocean and Coronado Bay to the lush grounds or pools, or the lights of the San Diego skyline. Loews Coronado provides all the services and amenities you need to make you feel like you’ve just checked into your own private island oasis.
(Room Types and Bedding Options are based on availability upon reservation)
Amenities & Available Services – In addition to your in room amenities, you will also enjoy: 3 Heated Pools with Poolside Concierge, Pool Deck Games, Access to the Fitness Center and Studio, Yoga and Aerobics Classes Daily, Beach Concierge, Chaise Lounge chairs, umbrellas and towels, Beach Toys (Boogie Boards and sand toys), Water Sports & Bike Rentals, Shuttle service to Silver Strand State Beach and Downtown Coronado Village, Nature Walk at Silver Strand Beach, Five restaurant and lounge options, Tennis Courts based on availability, Complimentary in-room wireless high-speed Internet access, Daily newspaper available via Press Reader App, Boarding Pass Printing, 24 hour shoe shine service, Free local and toll free calls, Turndown service upon request, ATM Onsite, Car Rental through Consierge, Go Rentals Kiosk Onsite, Concierge, Dry Cleaning and Pressing, In-Room Coffee, On site babysitting services, Business Center, Safe Deposit Boxes, and Room Service..
- Pool View – $339 Per Room Per Night Plus Applicable Taxes and Fees – Enjoy floor-to-ceiling glass doors that open onto a furnished balcony or patio, with a bird’s eye view of the three pools.Room Includes: 2 Double Beds or 1 King with Stearns & Foster® mattress, Furnished balcony with views of the pool, Executive desk and arm chair with ottoman, 55-inch 690 Series Premium Slim Direct-Lit LED TV, Stone-top vanity and deep soaking tub with separate shower, Julien Farel bath amenities and hair care products, Ample electrical outlets and USB ports, Cribs/rollaways available upon request.
- Resort View – $339 Per Room Per Night Plus Applicable Taxes and Fees – Savor the soothing, spa-like décor and give in to relaxation.Room Includes: 2 Double Beds or 1 King with Sterns & Foster® mattress, Ample electrical outlets and USB ports, Executive desk and arm chair with ottoman, 55-inch 690 Series Premium Slim Direct-Lit LED TV, Stone-top vanity and deep soaking tub with separate shower in most rooms, Julien Farel bath amenities and hair care products, Cribs/rollaways available upon request.
- Partial Bay View – $349 Per Room Per Night Plus Applicable Taxes and Fees – Your spacious room leads onto a private balcony with views of the peaceful gardens plus glimpses of San Diego Bay.Room Includes: 2 Double Beds or 1 King with Stearns & Foster® mattress, Private, furnished balcony or patio with floor-to-ceiling views of the resort and bay, 55-inch 690 Series Premium Slim Direct-Lit LED TV, Ample electrical outlets and USB ports, Executive desk and arm chair with ottoman, Stone-top vanity and deep soaking tub with separate shower, Julien Farel bath amenities and hair care products, Cribs/rollaways available upon request.
- Marina View – $369 Per Room Per Night Plus Applicable Taxes and Fees – Consider this your calm oasis, inspired by our lush surroundings and stunning marina views which you can enjoy from your balcony.Room Includes: 2 Double Beds or 1 King Bed with Stearns & Foster® mattress, Private, furnished balcony or patio with views of the marina, Executive desk and arm chair 55-inch 690 Series Premium Slim Direct-Lit LED TV, Stone-top vanity and deep soaking tub with separate shower, Julien Farel bath amenities and hair care products, Ample electrical outlets and USB ports, Cribs/rollaways available upon request.
- Coronado Bay View – $389 Per Room Per Night Plus Applicable Taxes and Fees – Enjoy your private, fully furnished balcony and soak up breathtaking views of San Diego Bay.Room includes: 1 King Bed or 2 Double Beds with Stearns & Foster® mattress, Private, furnished balcony with floor-to-ceiling unobstructed views of San Diego Bay, 55-inch 690 Series Premium Slim Direct-Lit LED TV, Ample electrical outlets and USB ports, Executive desk and arm chair with ottoman, Julien Farel bath amenities and hair care products, Cribs/rollaways available upon request.
Additional Lodging Information –
Resort Fee: MCE Conference Attendees booked within the group block will receive a reduced resort fee of $10.00 per room, per day (Reduced from $30).
Taxes: The room rates are exclusive of applicable taxes which are currently 12.55% inclusive of a 10% Occupancy tax, 1% CTID Assessment, 1% environmental Protection Fee, plus 0.55% Tourism Assessment Fee per room per night. (Tax rates are subject to change without notice)
Additional Adults: The room rates listed are based on single & double occupancy. Additional adults over the age of 18 sharing a room will be charged $20 per room, per night up to a maximum of quad occupancy. Subject to change.
Check-in/ Check out Times: Check-in is at 4:00 PM and check out is at 12:00 PM.
Rollaway Beds: available for $25 per day.
Smoking: There is a $300 Smoking fee if you smoke in your room or on the balcony of your room. There is a designated smoking section on the ground level of the hotel.
Pets: Loews Coronado Bay Resort charges a $150 per stay fee with a limit of two (2) per room, maximum 40 pounds each. Gourmet room service menus for cats and dogs, prepared by our award-winning chef with Pet-walking and pet-sitting services. Subject to change.
Hotel Terms are subject to change and based on availability
Parking at the Loews Coronado Bay Resort
- Overnight valet parking: $50.00 per day maximum
- Overnight self parking: $25.00 per day maximum for MCE attendees (Discounted from $47.00)
- Day of conference valet parking: $20.00 per day maximum
- Day of conference self parking: $ 10.00 per day maximum
Lodging Deposit – Deposit of 1 Night Room + Tax is due at the time of booking. Balance is due to the resort upon arrival.
Lodging Cancellations – Terms and conditions as per MCE’s room allotment agreement with conference lodging venue:
- Cancellation made 31 days or more prior to arrival: A full refund will be issued.
- Cancellation 30 days or less prior to arrival: No refunds will be issued.
- No-shows and early departures are considered a cancellation: No refunds will be issued.
All lodging cancellations must be made directly with the lodging venue. Please refer to your lodging confirmation for contact information and policies.
Register & Book Your Lodging Early! The MCE reduced room rates will be available to registered attendees up until June 25, 2024 (based on availability). Our allotment for reduced room rates may sell out before this date. We urge you to secure your lodging reservation as early as possible. Reduced rates will also be offered 3 nights pre and post program dates (based on availability).
Room Reservation Guidelines – The lodging reservation link has been created for the MCE Conference continuing medical education program, and only guests that are registered for this CME conference are eligible to use this site in order to access discounted rooms and/or theme park tickets (if applicable).
- Attendees must register within (7) seven days of booking MCE discounted lodging to avoid cancellations or increased nightly rates (depending on Hotel/Resort policy).
- We allow a maximum of 2 room reservations per registered attendee, based on availability and rates at the time of booking.
- Rooms and/or tickets (if applicable) cannot be purchased for the purpose of, or with the intention of being resold.
- All reservations must be made under the registered attendee’s’ name, as all reservations and ticket orders (if applicable) will be audited against the CME program registration list. Should it be necessary, we reserve the right to contact you to request proof of registration. If it is discovered that the reservation and/or ticket order is not for an MCE Conferences participant, the reservations and/or ticket order may be cancelled or modified based on the Hotel/Resort policy, and deposits may not be eligible for a refund.
Please note: In order to provide a quality and interactive CME program, MCE Conferences will limit the amount of registrations per conference.
Additional Travel Information
Airport Information – San Diego International Airport (SAN) is located 12 miles (approximately 25 minutes) from the Loews Coronado Bay Resort.
Airport Transportation – To make your airport transfer reservation, please click on the following links:
Taxi Service – MCE Conferences recommends taking a taxi to get from the airport to your hotel. Follow signs at the San Diego International Airport (SAN) for ground transportation and taxi service. Taxi fare from the San Diego International Airport to the Loews Coronado Bay Resort is approximately $45 each way (plus tip) for 1-4 persons. Please Click Here or call 619-435-6211 for more information or to book a taxi with the Coronado Cab Company.
Please Note: In order to receive 15% off both portions of your Groundlink trip, guests will need to book each way separately.
Car Rental – To make your discounted car rental reservation, please click on the following links:
(please note: car rental company availability may differ based on airport/ destination)
- AVIS – Click Here and enter G028287 in the “AWD Number” box to receive the Group Discount.
- Budget – Click Here
- Enterprise – Click Here and enter XZB6145 to receive the MCE Conferences Group Discount.
- Hertz – Click Here and check the “Enter a Discount or Promo Code” and “I am a Corporate Customer” boxes. Enter 2086989 in the “Discount/CDP/Club Code” box to receive the Group Discount.
- National – Click Here and enter XZB6145 under Contract ID to receive Group Discount
Special Assistance – MCE’s policy is to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If special arrangements are necessary for an individual with a disability to attend a conference, please contact our office at 1-888-533-9031.
Please Note: MCE is not associated with the third party services listed herein and shall not be liable for any services of such third party providers.
Other Upcoming Conferences
What Are You Waiting For?
Register Early! In order to provide a quality and interactive CME program, MCE Conferences will limit the amount of registrations per conference. Some conferences may have a lower registration limit due to the destination logistics and lodging availability.