Primary Care Update: Emergency Medicine, Pediatric Infectious Diseases, COVID-19
Mar 19, 2021 – Mar 21, 2021
Universal Studios Orlando - Loews Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal Studios Orlando
(Find theme park information, conference attendee discounts and ticket purchase links in the Additional Travel Information section below)
Past Attendees Save $50: Past MCE Conferences attendees (within the previous three years) automatically receive a $50 discount at checkout.
Bring a Friend or Colleague and Save $50: If you are attending with another healthcare professional you are eligible for a $50 discount.
Overview & Agenda
Primary Care Update: Emergency Medicine, Pediatric Infectious Diseases, COVID-19 – 12 Credits
This conference is designed to provide primary care clinicians with up-to-date, evidence-based information on commonly encountered issues in Emergency Medicine, Pediatric Infectious Diseases and COVID-19, while suggesting pragmatic approaches to clinical management. The discussion-based format of the conference will encourage audience participation through dynamic lectures, case-based studies, and hands-on workshops. Keynote speakers will present and critically assess recent advancements and industry updates in Emergency Medicine, Pediatric Infectious Diseases and COVID-19 with the goal of enhancing the knowledge-base and core competence of attendees. The successful completion of this interactive program diagnosing, treating, and prescribing the most effective courses of treatment, with the ultimate goal of improving patient outcomes.
All Physicians and other Healthcare Professionals seeking clinical information about issues in Emergency Medicine, Pediatric Infectious Diseases and COVID-19.
Our presenting national faculty speakers make it their professional goals to enhance the training of primary care clinicians. This Continuing Medical Education program promises to help you learn the most current, best medicine, and techniques for making the diagnosis easier during a 20-minute office visit.
Topics and Objectives
Deadly Headache Disorders You Can’t Miss
Objectives: 1) Discuss the clinical presentation of select deadly headache disorders, including carbon monoxide, subarachnoid hemorrhage, subdural hemorrhage, and meningitis 2) Identify pitfalls in the diagnosis of select headache disorders 3) Describe the current evidence-based treatment of catastrophic causes of headache
Busted! Common Myths in Primary Care
Objectives: 1) Discuss whether intravenous contrast can be used in patients with iodine or seafood allergy 2) Discuss the use of cephalosporin medications in patients with penicillin allergy 3) Discuss the use of antibiotic therapy in patients with streptococcal pharyngitis
Catastrophic Causes of Neck and Back Pain
Objectives: 1) Identify concerning features from the history and physical exam in patients with life-threatening causes of neck pain 2) Discuss pitfalls in the diagnosis of patients with vertebral artery dissection 3) State the indications for emergent imaging in patients presenting with acute neck and back pain
How to Kill with Just Your Prescription Pad: Dangerous Drug Combinations!
Objectives: 1) Recognize commonly encountered deadly drug combinations 2) Highlight the dangerous nature of some commonly utilized medications
Bringing Medicine Back to the Patient: A Primer on Patient-Centered Communication
Objectives: 1) Describe the principles of patient-centered communication 2) Outline three specific skill sets to help providers be more patient-centered 3) Provide specific “verbiology” to use when speaking to patients to help focus the encounter on them
A “Weekend Warrior” Is in Your Office: Dealing with Musculoskeletal Injuries
Objectives: 1) Discuss the most commonly encountered extremity injuries and their office management 2) Highlight emergent conditions that require immediate evaluation 3) Identify and mitigate potential sources of litigation
Pediatric Infectious Diseases
Immunization Update 2021
Objectives: 1) Become familiar with the recent changes in the immunization schedule for children and adolescents 2) Describe emerging immunization issues 3) Become familiar with new immunization requirements in children and adolescent 4) Review recent immunization recommendations for adults
Management of Common Pediatric Upper Respiratory Tract Infections
Objectives: 1) Understand the impact of antimicrobial resistance in pediatrics 2) Become familiar with the appropriate evaluation and treatment for otitis media and sinusitis 3) Identify appropriate antibiotic therapy for streptococcal pharyngitis 4) Discuss appropriate recommended management for streptococcal carriers
Dealing with the Uncertain: Fever Without a Source and Fever of Unknown Origin in the COVID-19 Era
Objectives: 1) Identify young febrile children at increased risk of serious bacterial infections 2) Become familiar with current evidence upon which decision-making guidelines are based 3) Recommend appropriate diagnostic studies for young infants with fever without source 4) Become familiar with the step-wise evaluation for children with fever of unknown origin
A Closer Look (With Social Distancing): COVID-19 Vaccine for Adults and Children
Objectives: 1) Understand the science behind the rapid development of COVID-19 vaccines 2) Discuss available and soon-to-be-approved COVID-19 vaccines 3) Summarize the recommendations for vaccinating during the COVID-19 pandemic 4) Address the most common questions on the COVID-19 vaccines from patients
Is it Just “Bad Luck?”: Evaluation of the Child with Recurrent Infections
Objectives: 1) Identify which children may require work-up for recurrent infections 2) Discuss most common immunodeficiencies in children 3) Be able to select appropriate screening tests for possible immunodeficiency 4) Identify cost-effective diagnostic studies for children with recurrent infections
Skin and Soft Tissue Infections (SSTI): Evidence-Based Management
Objectives: 1) Review the impact of MRSA in common pediatric skin and soft tissue infections 2) Be able to select appropriate antibiotic therapy for superficial skin infections 3) Discuss appropriate evaluation and treatment of purulent SSTI 4) Be able to recommend appropriate management for the child with recurrent skin abscesses
Note: Content is subject to change without notice. Please refer to the activity website for the most current information. Due to Covid-19, some presenters may be unable to travel and therefore would be required to present virtually. We appreciate your understanding and flexibility at this time and will communicate with all registered attendees via email if any changes are made to this program.
March 19, 2021
Loews Portofino Conference Center
Conference - Day 1
Continental Breakfast for Registered Attendees
Check-In Opens at 7:00 AM
7:30 AM - 11:50 AM
March 20, 2021
Loews Portofino Conference Center
Conference - Day 2
Continental Breakfast for Registered Attendees
7:30 AM - 11:50 AM
March 21, 2021
Loews Portofino Conference Center
Conference - Day 3
Continental Breakfast for Registered Attendees
7:30 AM - 11:50 AM
Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education – ACCME
MCE Conferences is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
MCE Conferences designates this live activity for a maximum of 12 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credits commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
ABIM MOC Recognition
Successful completion of this CME activity, which includes participation in the evaluation component, enables the participant to earn up to 12 (part II) MOC points in the American Board of Internal Medicine’s (ABIM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program. Participants will earn MOC points equivalent to the amount of CME credits claimed for the activity. It is the CME activity provider’s responsibility to submit participant completion information to ACCME for the purpose of granting ABIM MOC credit.
American Academy of Family Physicians – AAFP
This live activity is being reviewed and will be acceptable for up to 12 Prescribed credits by the American Academy of Family Physicians. AAFP Prescribed credit is accepted by the American Medical Association as equivalent to the AMA PRA Category 1 credit toward the AMA Physicians Recognition Award. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The College of Family Physicians of Canada – Mainpro-M1
The American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) is the accrediting body for family medicine continuing medical education (CME) in the United States of America. CFPC members who complete any live CME/CPD program accredited by the AAFP for Prescribed credit can claim the equivalent number of Mainpro-M1 credits. Canadian
American Osteopathic Association – AOA
CME activities approved for AAFP credit are recognized by the AOA as equivalent to AOA Category 2 credit.
American Academy of Physician Assistants – AAPA
AAPA accepts Category 1 CME approval from the AAFP.
American Association of Nurse Practitioners – AANP
AAFP Prescribed Credits are accepted by the AANP.
American Nurses Credentialing Center – ANCC
According to the ANCC, the continuing education hours approved by the AAFP meet the ANCC-accredited CNE criteria.
This course is being reviewed and will be acceptable for up to 12 CE credits; please verify with your Medical Board which hours may be applied toward Pharmacology credit.
Lodging Reservations Lodging is extremely limited. If you need assistance, please contact our office at email@example.com or call us Monday thru Friday between 9 AM to 5 PM (PT).
Please note: Room categories are based on availability at the time of request.
Accommodations and Amenities – With a prime location on the Mediterranean, Portofino, Italy, is famous for its beauty and we’re happy to say that Loews Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal Orlando Resort™ has a reputation that’s just as impressive. In fact, they bring the splendor of the Italian Riviera to each and every one of their 750 stylish guestrooms and 45 spacious suites. Tones of creamy white and teal are reminiscent of the coast, while rich details in marble and velvet give the newly renovated guest spaces an Italian flair.
Hotel Amenities: Free Wi-Fi, 300-thread-count, 100% cotton bed linens, Julien Farel skin, body-care and hair products, iHome iPod docking station, Keurig coffeemaker with gourmet coffee and teas, 100% combed and ring-spun cotton terry towels and bath sheets, Spacious work desk with ergonomic chair, telephone with voicemail, Mini-refrigerator, On-Demand movies (fees apply), Dual sinks, Magnifying makeup mirror, Iron and ironing board, Complimentary skin, body-care and hair products, Hair Dryer, In-room safe, with enough space for a laptop, Dry-cleaning and laundry service, Wake-up calls, In-room dining service, Cribs available upon request, Nightly turndown upon request, Flat-screen TV with HD channels, Smart room technology for automated heating and air-conditioning, Access hundreds of newspapers and magazines via PressReader when you download the Loews Hotels mobile app.
- Garden View Room – $269 Per Room Per Night (Plus Applicable Taxes and Fees) Garden View rooms are a spacious 450 square feet and offer a lovely vista of the meticulously manicured and landscaped grounds. Bedding types: One king or two queen beds.
- Bay View Room – $299 Per Room Per Night (Plus Applicable Taxes and Fees) Bay View rooms are a spacious 450 square feet and feature one king bed, marble accents, and elegant furnishings from Italy. Every morning you can look out your window and watch the sun glittering off the sparkling water and the fleet of colorful fishing boats. Bedding types: One king or two queen beds.
- Deluxe Room – $329 Per Room Per Night (Plus Applicable Taxes and Fees) Elegantly appointed Deluxe Rooms offer an even larger living space at 490 square feet, plus a stylish and roomy bathroom featuring a separate tub and shower. In addition to the extra comfort, you’ll enjoy a view of the serene Villa Pool and surrounding gardens or the dramatic Roman aqueduct-styled Beach Pool. Bedding types: One king or two queen beds.
Additional Lodging Information – Quoted room rates are subject to all applicable city, county, state, or federal taxes that apply at the time of occupancy. Currently, the tax rate is 12.5% (sales tax 6.5%, occupancy 6%) per occupied room night.
Check-in/Check-out times: Check-in time is 4:00 p.m. and Check-out time is at 11:00 a.m. Every effort is made to accommodate guests arriving before the check-in time; however, rooms may not be immediately available.
Additional Room Occupants: Each extra person sharing a room (after two) will be charged an additional $35.00 per night. There will be no charge for children under the age of 18 years who share with their parents.
Pet Policy: Pets are welcome to Loews Hotels.
Hotel Parking – Discounted self-parking of $15.00 per vehicle, per day for overnight parking. Discounted valet parking of $23.00 per vehicle, per day for overnight parking. Complimentary daily drive-in parking on March 19th, 20th, and 21st 2021.
Lodging Deposit – A deposit equal to one (1) night’s stay is required and will be charged for each individual’s reservation that is made on their own.
Lodging Cancellations – Terms and conditions as per MCE’s room allotment agreement with conference lodging venue:
- Cancellation made 31 days or more prior to arrival: A full refund will be issued.
- Cancellation 30 days or less prior to arrival: No refunds will be issued.
- No-shows and early departures are considered a cancellation: No refunds will be issued.
All lodging cancellations must be made directly with the lodging venue. Please refer to your lodging confirmation for contact information and policies.
Register & Book Your Lodging Early! The MCE reduced room rates will be available to registered attendees up until February 9, 2021 (based on availability). Our allotment for reduced room rates may sell out before this date. We urge you to secure your lodging reservation as early as possible. Reduced rates will also be offered 3 nights pre and post-program dates (based on availability).
Room Reservation Guidelines – The lodging reservation link has been created for the MCE Conference continuing medical education program, and only guests that are registered for this CME conference are eligible to use this site in order to access discounted rooms and/or theme park tickets (if applicable).
- Attendees must register within (7) seven days of booking MCE discounted lodging to avoid cancellations or increased nightly rates (depending on Hotel/Resort policy).
- We allow a maximum of 2 room reservations per registered attendee, based on availability and rates at the time of booking.
- Rooms and/or tickets (if applicable) cannot be purchased for the purpose of, or with the intention of being resold.
- All reservations must be made under the registered attendee’s name, as all reservations and ticket orders (if applicable) will be audited against the CME program registration list. Should it be necessary, we reserve the right to contact you to request proof of registration. If it is discovered that the reservation and/or ticket order is not for an MCE Conferences participant, the reservations and/or ticket order may be canceled or modified based on the Hotel/Resort policy, and deposits may not be eligible for a refund.
Please note: In order to provide a quality and interactive CME program, MCE Conferences will limit the number of registrations per conference.
Additional Travel Information
Airport Information – Orlando International Airport (MCO) is located 16.5 miles from the Loews Portofino Hotel.
Car Rental – To make your discounted car rental reservation, please click on the following links (please note: car rental company availability may differ based on airport/ destination)
- AVIS – Click Here and enter G028287 in the “AWD Number” box to receive the Group Discount.
- Budget – Click Here
- Enterprise – Click Here and enter XZB6145 to receive the Group Discount.
- Hertz – Click Here and check the “Enter a Discount or Promo Code” and “I am a Corporate Customer” boxes. Enter 2086989 in the “Discount/CDP/Club Code” box to receive the Group Discount.
- Alamo – Click Here and enter 7014125 under Contract ID to receive the Group Discount.
- National – Click Here and enter XZB6145 under Contract ID to receive Group Discount.
Rideshare and Taxi Service – From the Orlando International Airport to the Loews Portofino Hotel is approximately $59 each way (plus tip) for 1-4 persons.
Universal Orlando® Resort Ticket Link – To purchase specially-priced Universal Orlando® Resort Park tickets, please Click Here.
A note on the Hogwarts™ Express: Because the Hogwarts™ Express will transport guests from one theme park to another, guests will need a park-to-park admission ticket to ride the train. Pricing is subject to change without notice.
Universal Orlando® Resort Perks – Theme Park Benefits at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel are currently listed on their website as:
- Get More Rides, More Often: When you stay at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel, you’ll receive free* Universal Express Unlimited™ to skip the regular lines at participating rides and attractions at Universal Studios Florida™ and Universal’s Islands of Adventure™, including The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man®, Despicable Me Minion Mayhem™ and now The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™. That’s a value of $129^ per person, per day. Valid theme park admission required.
- Early Park Admission† To The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™: Enjoy Early Park Admission to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™ and Universal’s Volcano Bay™ one hour before the theme park opens to the public when you stay at this hotel. Valid theme park admission required. Select attractions.
- Fun, Free And Easy Transportation: Waterways, roads and walking paths connect this Premier resort hotel to Universal Studios Florida™, Universal CityWalk™ and Universal’s Islands of Adventure™. Guests of Premier and Preferred hotels can get around easily with complimentary water taxis and shuttle services. Universal’s Volcano Bay™ is accessible only by complimentary shuttle.
- Priority Seating At Restaurants: Just for being our guest, you’ll receive priority seating at select restaurants throughout Universal Orlando Resort™.
- More Than Just A Room Key: Stay at Portofino Bay Hotel and get resort-wide charging privileges using your room key card. You can also use your key card for complimentary access^^ to select live entertainment venues at Universal CityWalk™ for the length of your stay.
- Shopping Made Simple: Be carefree and carry-free when you shop at select stores in Universal’s theme parks and CityWalk™. We’ll deliver your purchases directly to your room, free of charge.
Walt Disney World Resort – The Walt Disney World Resort is located approximately 10 miles from Loews Portofino Bay Hotel.
Special Assistance – MCE’s policy is to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If special arrangements are necessary for an individual with a disability to attend a conference, please contact our office at 1-888-533-9031.
Please Note: MCE is not associated with the third party services listed herein and shall not be liable for any services of such third party providers.
Other Upcoming Conferences
What Are You Waiting For?
Register Early! In order to provide a quality and interactive CME program, MCE Conferences will limit the amount of registrations per conference. Some conferences may have a lower registration limit due to the destination logistics and lodging availability.