Primary Care Update: Internal Medicine and Emergency Medicine
Dec 09, 2022 – Dec 11, 2022
Captiva Island - South Seas Island Resort
South Seas Island Resort is a beautiful place with a genuine old Florida feel. Where you’ll find everything you need to live that dreamy island life. Where you’re surrounded by a 330-acre wildlife preserve and dolphins and manatees are also regular guests. Where memories are made in every moment and sunsets are so spectacular, we celebrate it every day. We have activities, so many activities. Fill your days with kayaking, sailing, and boating. Bicycling, golf, and tennis. Epic fishing, world-famous shelling, or strolling along our spectacular two-and-a-half-mile stretch of private pristine beach. This is a place where you can fill your days at the most relaxing pace.
Past Attendees Save $50: Past MCE Conferences attendees (within the previous three years) automatically receive a $50 discount at checkout.
Bring a Friend or Colleague and Save $50: If you are attending with another healthcare professional you are eligible for a $50 discount.
Overview & Agenda
Primary Care Update: Internal Medicine and Emergency Medicine – 12 Credits
This conference is designed to provide primary care clinicians with up-to-date, evidence-based information on commonly encountered issues in Internal Medicine and Emergency Medicine, while suggesting pragmatic approaches to clinical management. The discussion-based format of the conference will encourage audience participation through dynamic lectures, case-based studies, and hands-on workshops. Keynote speakers will present and critically assess recent advancements and industry updates in Internal Medicine and Emergency Medicine with the goal of enhancing the knowledge-base and core competence of attendees. The successful completion of this interactive program diagnosing, treating, and prescribing the most effective courses of treatment, with the ultimate goal of improving patient outcomes.
All Physicians and other Healthcare Professionals seeking clinical information and updates in Internal Medicine and Emergency Medicine.
Our presenting national faculty speakers make it their professional goals to enhance the training of primary care clinicians. This Continuing Medical Education program promises to help you learn the most current, best medicine, and techniques for making the diagnosis easier and quicker during a 20-minute office visit.
Topics and Objectives
Internal Medicine Update
Practical Approach to the Patient with Hypertension
Objectives: 1) Apply the current JNC recommendations for the treatment of hypertension 2) Develop a rational approach to choosing medication for treating hypertension 3) Decide when and how to evaluate for secondary hypertension
A Clinical Approach to the Management of Hypothyroidism, the Elevated TSH, and the Patient with a Thyroid Nodule
Objectives: 1) Appreciate the role of screening TSH and what to do with the results 2) Develop a reasonable and cost-effective approach to diagnosing the thyroid nodule 3) Discuss the management of hypothyroidism
Practical Approach to the Patient with Headache
Objectives: 1) Review the differential diagnosis of a patient presenting with a headache complaint 2) Confidently evaluate the patient with a headache and appreciate the indications for imaging 3) Develop a treatment plan that considers lifestyle changes, as well as, medication
Practical Approach to the Patient with Hyperlipidemia
Objectives: 1) Apply the current guidelines 2) Develop a practical approach for considering the new medications available 3) Consider the new targets developed for cholesterol end point
Practical Approach to the Patient with Potential DVT
Objectives: 1) Obtain an appropriate medical history to better identify those patients at risk 2) More confidently evaluate and assess the patient suspected of having DVT 3) Better manage patients with the confirmed diagnosis of DVT
Objectives: 1) Formulate a practical approach to screening for dementia 2) Discuss medication management to include polypharmacy, drug-drug interactions, as well as, new drugs and their potential efficacy and side-effects 3) Develop a long-term follow-up and referral process that considers cost-effective and resource management
Emergency Medicine Update
Unsuspected Killers in Primary Care
Objectives: 1) Identify multiple patient presentations where innocuous appearing complaints hide life threatening pathology 2) Describe historical factors to assist in identifying these diseases 3) Outline a treatment strategy for each condition
Abdominal and Gastrointestinal Emergencies
Objectives: 1) Review and discuss signs of gastrointestinal bleeding; abdominal pain in the immuncompromised patient and lower abdominal pain
Eye Emergencies for the Non-Ophthalmologist
Objectives: 1) Enable the provider to recognize the true eye emergencies 2) Describe a thoughtful and systematic approach to common eye complaints 3) Highlight conditions that need further emergent evaluation
Bringing Medicine Back to the Patient: A Primer on Patient-Centered Communication
Objectives: 1) Describe the principles of patient-centered communication 2) Outline three specific skill sets to help providers be more patient-centered 3) Provide specific “verbiology” to use during patient interactions to help focus the encounter on the patient
Is Your Office Ready for an Emergency?
Objectives: 1) Describe common emergency equipment that offices may wish to consider having available 2) Outline a rapid response plan for offices in the case of emergencies 3) Review the use of automated external defibrillators (AEDs) 4) Highlight important changes in the latest American Heart Association Guidelines for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
A “Weekend Warrior” Is in Your Office: Dealing with Musculoskeletal Injuries
Objectives: 1) Discuss the most commonly encountered extremity injuries and their office management 2) Highlight emergent conditions that require immediate evaluation 3) Identify and mitigate potential sources of litigation
Please note: Content is subject to change without notice. Please refer to the activity website for the most current information.
December 9, 2022
Conference - Day 1
Continental Breakfast for Registered Attendees
Check-In Opens at 7:00 AM
7:30 AM - 11:50 AM
December 10, 2022
Conference - Day 2
Continental Breakfast for Registered Attendees
7:30 AM - 11:50 AM
December 11, 2022
Conference - Day 3
Continental Breakfast for Registered Attendees
7:30 AM - 11:50 AM
Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education – ACCME
MCE Conferences is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
MCE Conferences designates this live activity for a maximum of 12 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credits commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
ABIM MOC Recognition
Successful completion of this CME activity, which includes participation in the evaluation component, enables the participant to earn up to 12 (part II) MOC points in the American Board of Internal Medicine’s (ABIM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program. Participants will earn MOC points equivalent to the amount of CME credits claimed for the activity. It is the CME activity provider’s responsibility to submit participant completion information to ACCME for the purpose of granting ABIM MOC credit.
American Academy of Family Physicians – AAFP
This live activity is being reviewed and will be acceptable for up to 12 Prescribed credits by the American Academy of Family Physicians. AAFP Prescribed credit is accepted by the American Medical Association as equivalent to the AMA PRA Category 1 credit toward the AMA Physicians Recognition Award. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The College of Family Physicians of Canada – Mainpro-M1
The American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) is the accrediting body for family medicine continuing medical education (CME) in the United States of America. CFPC members who complete any live CME/CPD program accredited by the AAFP for Prescribed credit can claim the equivalent number of Mainpro-M1 credits. Canadian
American Osteopathic Association – AOA
CME activities approved for AAFP credit are recognized by the AOA as equivalent to AOA Category 2 credit.
American Academy of Physician Assistants – AAPA
AAPA accepts Category 1 CME approval from the AAFP.
American Association of Nurse Practitioners – AANP
AAFP Prescribed Credits are accepted by the AANP.
American Nurses Credentialing Center – ANCC
According to the ANCC, the continuing education hours approved by the AAFP meet the ANCC-accredited CNE criteria.
This course is being reviewed and will be acceptable for up to 12 CE credits; please verify with your Medical Board which hours may be applied toward Pharmacology credit.
Please note: Room categories are based on availability at the time of request.
Accommodations: The South Seas Island Resort offers accommodations and amenities to suit every taste.
- One Bedroom Bayside Villa – $279 Per Room Per Night (Plus Applicable Taxes and Fees) From a large screened balcony, revel in tranquil views of the bays and mangrove bushes. Located in the South Village near the Reception Center, the Bayside Villas are a short walking distance to the beach, restaurants, shops, and markets, Conference Center, and the Tennis Complex. The 850 square foot Villa, includes one separate bedroom with king bed, two full bathrooms, living room with sleeper sofa, dining area, and fully equipped kitchen. A home away from home feel is provided with accessible gas grills and coin-operated laundry on ground level. Villa accommodates up to 4 guests. Note: Room categories are based on availability at the time of request.
- One Bedroom Beach Villa – $279 Per Room Per Night (Plus Applicable Taxes and Fees) Treasure views of the Gulf of Mexico and the Island’s 2.5 miles of sugary sand beaches from your screened balcony. Situated at the desirable south end of the Resort, the spacious Beach Villas are approximately 100 yards from the sandy beaches accessible by boardwalks. Enjoy 3 pools in the complex, complete with gas grills poolside. The perfect beach retreat offers 850 square feet of living space and includes a separate bedroom with king or one queen bed, full bathroom, living room with a sleeper sofa, dining area, and a full kitchen. Coin operated laundry is at ground level for each condominium-style building. Villa accommodates up to 4 guests. Note: Room categories are based on availability at the time of request.
- One Bedroom Tennis Villa – $279 Per Room Per Night (Plus Applicable Taxes and Fees) From a large screened balcony, enjoy views of the courtyard and tennis facilities. Located at the south end of the resort behind the Reception Center, the Tennis Villas are a short walking distance to the beach, restaurants, shops, and markets, Conference Center, and the Tennis Complex. The 850 square foot Villa, decorated in shade of blues echoing the Gulf, includes one separate bedroom with king bed, a full bathroom, living room with sleeper sofa, dining area, and fully equipped kitchen. A home away from home feel is provided with accessible gas grills and coin-operated laundry on ground level. Villa accommodates up to 4 guests. Note: Room categories are based on availability at the time of request.
Amenities – A reduced resort fee for MCE Conferences attendees. The $20 resort fee includes the following amenities: Complimentary internet access in guest rooms and meeting space, Complimentary parking, Tennis court fees**, Complimentary golf green fees; cart and club rentals not included**, Daily Trolley Service throughout the Resort, Resort Pool Complex amenities include poolside towels and lounge chairs, Beach (South and Sunset Beach) amenities include beach towels and chairs. Guest room high-speed internet & meeting space internet, Fitness Center access, Cable with free movie channels (includes HBO), Participation in special Resort activities, 10% off services at Kay Casperson Spa, 10% off boat rentals at Sunny Island Adventures.
**All play requires advanced reservations. Instruction and equipment are not included in the resort fee.
Additional Lodging Information
- Additional Guests: There is no extra charge for children up to and including the age of 17 years who share the room with their parents. Additional Guests beyond double occupancy (Ages 18 and up) Sharing the Room: $20 Per Night.
- Taxes: Currently room rates are subject to the following taxes: Federal, State, City & Local at 11.5%. All taxes are subject to change.
- Resort Fee: $20 per room per day reduced for MCE attendees staying within the group block.
Parking – Self-parking is complimentary for MCE Conferences Attendees.
Lodging Deposit – A Major Credit Card is used at the time of booking and a first-night room deposit to guarantee your reservation. Balance due to the hotel upon arrival.
Lodging Cancellations – Guests must cancel lodging reservations 7 days prior to the guest’s check-in date or the hotel may charge the credit card one night’s room rate plus any applicable taxes. No-shows and early departures are considered a cancellation: No refunds will be issued.
All lodging cancellations must be made directly with the lodging venue. Please refer to your lodging confirmation for contact information and policies.
Register & Book Your Lodging Early! The MCE reduced room rates will be available to registered attendees up until November 1, 2022 (based on availability). Our allotment for reduced room rates may sell out before this date. We urge you to secure your lodging reservation as early as possible. Reduced rates will also be offered for 3 nights pre and post-program dates (based on availability).
Room Reservation Guidelines – The lodging reservation link has been created for the MCE Conference continuing medical education program, and only guests that are registered for this CME conference are eligible to use this site in order to access discounted rooms and/or theme park tickets (if applicable).
- Attendees must register within (7) seven days of booking MCE discounted lodging to avoid cancellations or increased nightly rates (depending on Hotel/Resort policy).
- We allow a maximum of 2 room reservations per registered attendee, based on availability and rates at the time of booking.
- Rooms and/or tickets (if applicable) cannot be purchased for the purpose of, or with the intention of being resold.
- All reservations must be made under the registered attendee’s name, as all reservations and ticket orders (if applicable) will be audited against the CME program registration list. Should it be necessary, we reserve the right to contact you to request proof of registration. If it is discovered that the reservation and/or ticket order is not for an MCE Conferences participant, the reservations and/or ticket order may be canceled or modified based on the Hotel/Resort policy, and deposits may not be eligible for a refund.
Please note: In order to provide a quality and interactive CME program, MCE Conferences will limit the number of registrations per conference.
Additional Travel Information
Southwest Florida International (RSW)
Distance: 37 miles
Time: 1 hour
Miami International Airport (MIA)
Distance: 171 miles
Time: 2 hours 53 minutes
Orlando International Airport (MCO)
Distance: 196 miles
Time: 3 hours 53 minutes
Airport Transportation – To make your airport transfer reservation, please click on the following link:
Dolphin Transportation: 239-530-0200 Click Here
Car Rental – To make your discounted car rental reservation, please click on the following links:
(please note: car rental company availability may differ based on airport/ destination)
- AVIS – Click Here and enter G028287 in the “AWD Number” box to receive the Group Discount.
- Budget – Click Here
- Enterprise – Click Here and enter XZB6145 to receive the MCE Conferences Group Discount.
- Hertz – Click Here and check the “Enter a Discount or Promo Code” and “I am a Corporate Customer” boxes. Enter 2086989 in the “Discount/CDP/Club Code” box to receive the Group Discount.
- National – Click Here and enter XZB6145 under Contract ID to receive Group Discount
Special Assistance – MCE’s policy is to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If special arrangements are necessary for an individual with a disability to attend a conference, please contact our office at 1-888-533-9031.
Please Note: MCE is not associated with the third-party services listed herein and shall not be liable for any services of such third-party providers.
Other Upcoming Conferences
What Are You Waiting For?
Register Early! In order to provide a quality and interactive CME program, MCE Conferences will limit the amount of registrations per conference. Some conferences may have a lower registration limit due to the destination logistics and lodging availability.