Internal Medicine Update for Primary Care
Nov 21, 2021 – Nov 23, 2021
Hawaii – Oahu/Honolulu - Disney Aulani Resort & Spa
Hawaii has long caught the imagination of many travelers, all seeking the velvet green mountains, blue and white beaches, rolling
waves, and the sweet scent of hibiscus clinging to the air. Sometimes called “The Gathering Place,” Oahu certainly lives up to its name with historic landmarks, rare encounters with Mother Nature, a plethora of Oahu tours to choose from, and the iconic North Shore. The third-largest Hawaiian island is home to the majority of Hawaii’s diverse population, a fusion of east and west cultures rooted in the values and traditions of the Native Hawaiian people. Whether you’re hiking atop iconic Leahi (Diamond Head), enjoying some of Hawaii’s best shopping, or simply unwinding on the sands of the island’s beautiful beaches, you’ll find variety at every turn on Oahu.
Past Attendees Save $50: Past MCE Conferences attendees (within the previous three years) automatically receive a $50 discount at checkout.
Bring a Friend or Colleague and Save $50: If you are attending with another healthcare professional you are eligible for a $50 discount.
Overview & Agenda
Internal Medicine Update – 12 Credits
This conference is designed to provide primary care practitioners with up-to-date, evidence-based information on commonly encountered issues in Internal Medicine, while suggesting pragmatic approaches to clinical management. The discussion-based format of the conference will encourage audience participation through dynamic lectures, case-based studies, and hands-on workshops. Keynote speakers will present and critically assess recent advancements and industry updates in Internal Medicine, with the goal of enhancing the knowledge-base and core competence of attendees. The successful completion of this interactive program diagnosing, treating, and prescribing the most effective courses of treatment, with the ultimate goal of improving patient outcomes.
All Physicians and other Healthcare Professionals seeking clinical information about issues in Internal Medicine.
Our presenting national faculty speakers make it their professional goals to enhance the training of primary care clinicians. This Continuing Medical Education program promises to help you learn the most current, best medicine, and techniques for making the diagnosis easier during a 20 minute office visit.
Topics and Objectives
Medical Myths (Busting Medical Myths)
Objectives: 1) Recognize medical myths 2) Recognize why they occur 3) Explain why they persist despite evidence against them
Drug Interactions and Side Effects for 2021
Objectives: 1) Effectively manage patients on statins if respect to muscle symptoms 2) Recognize major drug interactions with warfarin 3) Know the dangers of quinolones
Screening: Colon, Breast, Prostate, and Lung Screening Update
1) Review current USPSTF recommendations regarding colon, breast, prostate, and lung cancer screening. 2) Review the literature that those USPSTF recommendations are based on 3) Consider how to discuss controversial topics such as breast, lung, and prostate cancer screening with patients
Potpourri: A Collection of Cases in Primary Care
1) Review in management of common conditions seen in primary care. 2) Review of cases related to hospital medicine 3) Consider when a single study might change or not change your practice
Common Rashes in Primary Care
1) Review the identification of common rashes encountered in primary care 2) Review approaches to the treatment of common rashes 3) Review the recommendations regarding referral to dermatology
Ophthalmologic Issues for the Primary Care Physician
1) Review basic eye anatomy 2) Review common ophthalmologic problems seen in primary care, such as eyelid disorders and red eye 3) Consider when an ophthalmology referral is needed and when it is urgent
Practical Pearls in Primary Care
Objectives: 1) Develop a plan for treatment of resistant hypertension 2) Recognize hidden presentations of sleep apnea 3) Recognize common causes of night sweats
10 Ways to Best Care for Elderly Patients
Objectives: 1) Recognize the cardiovascular risk of NSAIDS in the elderly 2) Understand the risk /benefit of aggressive diabetes control in the elderly 3) Recognize the importance of counseling the elderly to avoid high risk fall situations
Psychiatry for the Primary Care Professional
Objectives: 1) Recognize common anxiety symptoms 2) Develop plan for patients with treatment resistant depression 3) Understand side effects of common medications used to treat psychiatric conditions
Natural Products: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Recognize which natural products are effective in the prevention of migraine headache Identify which natural product has good evidence for prevention of urinary tract infections Recognize which natural product has the greatest danger for drug interactions
Musculoskeletal Problems in Primary Care
1) Review shoulder anatomy and workup of shoulder pain 2) Review knee anatomy and workup of knee pain 3) Review causes and treatments of hip pain
Finding Meaning in One’s Work – Narrative Medicine
1) Employ reflective writing to explore meaning in one’s work 2) Consider ways to enhance resilience in one’s professional life 3) Review approaches to avoid burnout in clinical work
Note: Content is subject to change without notice. Please refer to the activity website for the most current information.
November 21, 2021
Disney Aulani Conference Center
Conference - Day 1
Continental Breakfast for Registered Attendees
Check-In Opens at 7:00 AM
7:30 AM - 11:50 AM
November 22, 2021
Disney Aulani Conference Center
Conference - Day 2
Breakfast for Registered Attendees
7:30 AM - 11:50 AM
November 23, 2021
Disney Aulani Conference Center
Conference - Day 3
Breakfast for Registered Attendees
7:30 AM - 11:50 AM
Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education – ACCME
MCE Conferences is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
MCE Conferences designates this live activity for a maximum of 12 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credits commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
ABIM MOC Recognition
Successful completion of this CME activity, which includes participation in the evaluation component, enables the participant to earn up to 12 (part II) MOC points in the American Board of Internal Medicine’s (ABIM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program. Participants will earn MOC points equivalent to the amount of CME credits claimed for the activity. It is the CME activity provider’s responsibility to submit participant completion information to ACCME for the purpose of granting ABIM MOC credit.
American Academy of Family Physicians – AAFP
This live activity is being reviewed and will be acceptable for up to 12 Prescribed credits by the American Academy of Family Physicians. AAFP Prescribed credit is accepted by the American Medical Association as equivalent to the AMA PRA Category 1 credit toward the AMA Physicians Recognition Award. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The College of Family Physicians of Canada – Mainpro-M1
The American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) is the accrediting body for family medicine continuing medical education (CME) in the United States of America. CFPC members who complete any live CME/CPD program accredited by the AAFP for Prescribed credit can claim the equivalent number of Mainpro-M1 credits. Canadian
American Osteopathic Association – AOA
CME activities approved for AAFP credit are recognized by the AOA as equivalent to AOA Category 2 credit.
American Academy of Physician Assistants – AAPA
AAPA accepts Category 1 CME approval from the AAFP.
American Association of Nurse Practitioners – AANP
AAFP Prescribed Credits are accepted by the AANP.
American Nurses Credentialing Center – ANCC
According to the ANCC, the continuing education hours approved by the AAFP meet the ANCC-accredited CNE criteria.
This course is being reviewed and will be acceptable for up to 12 CE credits; please verify with your Medical Board which hours may be applied toward Pharmacology credit.
Please note: Room categories are based on availability at the time of request.
Accommodations and Amenities – Walt Disney Imagineers worked hand-in-hand with local artisans and cultural experts to create Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa. Inspired by the natural wonders and rich traditions of Hawai‘i, Aulani Resort is the ultimate family getaway—celebrating the beauty, history, and welcoming spirit of the island. Experience Aulani Resort, combining the wonder of Disney with the beauty of Hawai’i in one legendary vacation destination. Explore exciting activities and share exhilarating moments amidst pristine beaches and natural beauty on the island of O‘ahu.
Amenities include high-speed Internet access, Satellite TV (includes Disney programming), Newspaper delivery, Coffeemaker, Refrigerator, Hairdryer, Iron and ironing board, Pack ‘n Play play yard (full-size crib is available upon request), In-room wall safe, Robes, and Self-Service Laundry facilities, and access to the pools. Note: Rooms are Non-Smoking. Wheelchair-accessible rooms are available.
- Standard Rooms – $339 Per Room Per Night (Plus Applicable Taxes and Fees) All Rooms are 382 Square Feet. Bedding Options: Standard Rooms offer views of the Island or Poolside Gardens, a variety of ocean views, as well as views of the Conference Center. (View-based upon availability at time of check-in). Choose between 2 Queen Beds or 1 King Bed and 1 Queen Sleeper Sofa Maximum Occupancy in the room is 4 guests.
Additional Lodging Information –
- Taxes: The Group Room Rates are subject to applicable sales and resort taxes, currently 12½%. There will be no mandatory resort or other fee levied on the sleeping rooms in addition to the Group Room Rate plus applicable taxes (unless required by law).
- Additional Adult Charge: Guest room rates are quoted as single or double occupancy. The charge for additional guests beyond double occupancy is $35.00 plus applicable tax per guest per night for adults 18 years and older.
- Occupancy: Maximum room occupancy is (4) guests.
Hotel Parking – Standard overnight self-parking is available to registered Guests for a fee that will be applied to their hotel folio upon check-out. All parking fees include applicable tax and are subject to change.
- Current Self-parking rates are $25 per night. Current Valet parking rates are also available for $33 per night.
- Complimentary Self-parking will be provided during the hours of the meeting for all local and offsite MCE Attendees.
Lodging Deposit – A Deposit of 1 Night + Tax is due at the time of booking. Balance is due to the resort upon arrival.
Lodging Cancellations – Terms and conditions as per MCE’s room allotment agreement with conference lodging venue:
- Cancellation made 31 days or more prior to arrival: A full refund will be issued.
- Cancellation 30 days or less prior to arrival: No refunds will be issued.
- No-shows and early departures are considered a cancellation: No refunds will be issued.
All lodging cancellations must be made directly with the lodging venue. Please refer to your lodging confirmation for contact information and policies.
Register & Book Your Lodging Early! The MCE reduced room rates will be available to registered attendees up until November 23, 2021 (based on availability). Our allotment for reduced room rates may sell out before this date. We urge you to secure your lodging reservation as early as possible. Reduced rates will also be offered 3 nights pre and post-program dates (based on availability).
Room Reservation Guidelines – The lodging reservation link has been created for the MCE Conference continuing medical education program, and only guests that are registered for this CME conference are eligible to use this site in order to access discounted rooms and/or theme park tickets (if applicable).
- Attendees must register within (7) seven days of booking MCE discounted lodging to avoid cancellations or increased nightly rates (depending on Hotel/Resort policy).
- We allow a maximum of 2 room reservations per registered attendee, based on availability and rates at the time of booking.
- Rooms and/or tickets (if applicable) cannot be purchased for the purpose of, or with the intention of being resold.
- All reservations must be made under the registered attendee’s name, as all reservations and ticket orders (if applicable) will be audited against the CME program registration list. Should it be necessary, we reserve the right to contact you to request proof of registration. If it is discovered that the reservation and/or ticket order is not for an MCE Conferences participant, the reservations and/or ticket order may be canceled or modified based on the Hotel/Resort policy, and deposits may not be eligible for a refund.
Please note: In order to provide a quality and interactive CME program, MCE Conferences will limit the number of registrations per conference.
Additional Travel Information
Airport Information – The Honolulu International Airport (HNL) is located approximately 25 miles from the Disney Aulani Resort.
Airport Transportation – To make your airport transfer reservation, please click on the following links:
Shared Shuttle Service –
Oahu Shuttle: For details about rates and services, visit Hele Hele Shuttle Service. Shuttle service can be booked as part of your Walt Disney Travel Company Aulani Resort vacation package by calling (866) 443-4763 between the hours of 7:00 AM and 9:00 PM PST. You may also call (808) 427-1500 or dial ext. 6798 while at the Resort, between the hours of 6:00 AM and 9:00 PM HST, or RESERVE NOW.
Taxi Service –
Charley’s Taxi: Up to four passengers can ride in a taxi for the price of one. They pick you up and take you directly to your destination- no carpooling around town to pick up other passengers like the shuttles. Fares from the Honolulu International Airport to Aulani have a flat rate of $55 per trip. For more information, call (808) 233-3333 or visit http://charleystaxi.com
Car Rental – To make your discounted car rental reservation, please click on the following links:
(please note: car rental company availability may differ based on airport/ destination)
- AVIS – Click Here and enter G028287 in the “AWD Number” box to receive the Group Discount.
- Budget – Click Here
- Enterprise – Click Here and enter XZB6145 to receive the MCE Conferences Group Discount.
- Hertz – Click Here and check the “Enter a Discount or Promo Code” and “I am a Corporate Customer” boxes. Enter 2086989 in the “Discount/CDP/Club Code” box to receive the Group Discount.
- National – Click Here and enter XZB6145 under Contract ID to receive Group Discount.
Special Assistance – MCE’s policy is to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If special arrangements are necessary for an individual with a disability to attend a conference, please contact our office at 1-888-533-9031.
Please Note: MCE is not associated with the third-party services listed herein and shall not be liable for any services of such third-party providers.
Other Upcoming Conferences
What Are You Waiting For?
Register Early! In order to provide a quality and interactive CME program, MCE Conferences will limit the amount of registrations per conference. Some conferences may have a lower registration limit due to the destination logistics and lodging availability.